Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Inner realities of art forms


It’s true that I have never been deeply interested in bronze or marble sculptures of people or animals (especially horses) and as I have grown older, I look at sculpture even less. There are a few that I warm to, such as Michelangelo's David’ but even contemporary sculpture is often the last thing I would go to a gallery to see.

“..I have mentioned once that I found sculpture to be a more imprisoning form than say painting, music or a poem and here I will mention my reasoning. You will have to look at this in an opposite manner than is unusually uses when discussing such arts. I believe that it is usually considered that an art is more powerful if it appeals to as many outer senses as possible. That is, you would perhaps think that a statue would be extremely lifelike because it exists in space and depth, having width and girth. That is, you can feel it,se it and touch it.

You must remember that the outer senses react to camouflage pattern. The statue actually imprisons vitality more than a painting or a musical composition or poem…” session 22