Thursday, July 27, 2006

Desperately Seeking David



The first time I saw David I was under whelmed. Here was Michelangelo's great triumph, the classical epitome of male beauty. Ungenerous in his manhood but what matters that? This was Man. However, being somewhat curious about the things some humans consider important, David being one of them, I looked and ponderedÂ…is there a message' for me?
In spaces, I have a feeling of a `knowing' being just within my grasp. All I need is reach out. One of those teasing nuggets that TSM is sprinkled with is that information is a form of aware consciousness and it moves towards those that desire it. I desire it, even so I often-such information slips away. That's how it was with David. He played hard to get.

I wake each morning with 'Artist ' tattooed to the inside of my eyelids. I see that first. It sets the tone for the day. It is a native way of being. I blame my family; Sumari entities can be that way.

Sumari (Sum-mar'-i)
SETH: innovators, naturally playful, humorous, relatively unfettered. They are impatient however. They will be found in the arts and in the less conventional sciences.

Rob Butts:"to provide the cultural, spiritual, and artistic heritage for the species."

Actually Seth was being Kind; there are few other adjectives I could throw in here for those of an artistic temperment.

And here is something more from Robert Butts:

Is the Concept of 'Families' Really Discrete?

Jane said: "We regard Seth's material on counterparts and families of consciousness as excellent explanations - as thematic frameworks that help us perceive and organize aspects of our greater reality that are ignored by conventional academic disciplines. Seth's explanations stand for aspects of reality that usually escape us." [Rob's notes, session 737]

And this part is from Paul Helfrich:

To further understand the concept of 'families' try to imagine the psychic reality of the collective consciousness; sort of like the science fiction species - the Borg - from the TV series Star Trek. But imagine that this human collective is psychically related and holds the ability to communicate telepathically and clairvoyantly.

Next, try to imagine the reality of six billion human beings as individuals that make up this vast group. If you were to think of this group, figuratively speaking, as a Rainbow of Consciousness, then each discrete color would represent an innate 'family' leaning or intent. When viewing this Rainbow from afar, you can't find the exact place where red ends and orange begins, yet you can clearly distinguish both colors.

As your vision zooms in each color also reveals infinite shades of gradation and the edges, that seemed separate from a longer distance, literally disappear. So the foundation of nine can easily be extended into an infinite spectrum with plenty of room for individual variations. Therefore, we really aren't limited to nine discrete 'colors'.

Or to cut a long story short if you have been told that you are self-absorbed sort, all temperamental who only thinks of art: 'you might have been born that way', take comfort you are only acting in accord with your nature. More on the Sumari in sessions 736 - 737.And remember:

"The names and designations aren't meant to be taken too literally; these aren't to be interpreted as esoteric clubs but as natural psychic 'conglomerations' to which we all belong." [Session 737].
I favor artists whose work was about themselves, their feelings their hopes and dreams, who did not laden their art practice and hence the finished art object with any missionary zeal. These are the artists who return me to myself.

They are termed narcissistic, that word again, but that critcism of them arises in part from a past where artist were thought to be given a gift by the God and exhaltorted to use it wisely. for the betterment of humanity. And with that direction was the implicit belief that art has a quality that is (or ought to be) uplifting and good for the human spirit.

To me the art has no such duty, nor is it a calling, it is simpler than that. It's just a natural way of being for someÂ…to make things, its like breathing. Self-expression saying as a child would this is me. Or this is what I feel or this is what I think. Also this is what I amÂ…but that comes later. This is I in my creation, I give birth to my multitudesÂ…or to David.

Thus I cannot distinguish David from David's maker. When I see David I see Michaelangelo. Someone who expressed some thing or event in his own fashion, to his own liking and likeness. This is what I see. I like to think I see with `wide open eyes. That does not mean that I understand what I see, that is another skill entirely.

If The Seth material awakens anything in me it has been questions and not answers. I cannot think of myself as the artist that molds the creative force of the universe, (I know some see themselves in a less active role, they are vessels into which divine inspiration pours ) and then proceed to suck on Seth as a child would it mother's nipple.

When I see The Seth material, I see Jane. Her expression of her abilities (nor do I forget Rob) creativity. Jane is a very interesting Kettle of fish. Those weird abilities of hers; now how did she do that, and why? And how did Michelangelo get create David out of a lump of rock, a project that had thwarted many before him. And David was the one who slew goliath and the world with its limiting beliefs can be no less goliath like when it transfixes with it official version of reality. Is there a monster to be slayed? Jane created and left. The Seth material remains, existing now for others to ponder over; mis-interpret, interpret, turn into dogma, try to establish propratorial rights over or make a mess of.

In Michelangelo's day sculpture was considered the finest from of art, to them it mimicked divine creation. And as oft repeated 'the image was already in the block' all it took was the hand of Michelangelo to release it. If only it were that simple.As in thinking that all TSM says is chant is 'I create my own reality'and thus it happens. Conscious creation consists of more than that . Imagination released the image from the block, as did skill. Michelangelo did not sit there a-hoping and-a-praying' that David would pop out if only he believed in David enough.

When I read Seth and do an exercise or two, I find my sense of self released from the less desirable attributes and beliefs regarding what it is to be human. Those limiting beliefs can beas rigid as and as embracing as the block of marble, which encased our dear David. I think there is more, that one is not just an expression of the creativity of some Uber Artist but the personification of Creativity and all that stands in the way is 'seeing' clearly.



How can the artist give us back ourselves, or some clear seeing? Or does the awake artist remind others that they are more than they recall. If any person can find the air knocked out them, or was for a moment startled when they came across a work of art, read a poem, heard music is it the artwork that they are reacting to? Or maybe something within the person in that moment remembers itself.